OverviewThe purpose of the program is to mitigate and assist qualified low-income residents to maintain housing,
stability as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is intended to assist qualified residents
who are suffering from a temporary financial setback due to the COVID-19 public health emergency to
To be eligible for the program, households must demonstrate an inability to meet rent obligations through
documenting a loss of income due to COVID-19. To qualify for rental assistance, applicants must meet
the following criteria:
- Resident of San Marcos, CA
- Have picture ID verifying the identity
- Household must have a documented substantial decrease in Household Income due to COVID-19
- Have a household income at or below 80% of the area median income (AMI) for their household size. (proof of income required)
- Have a current residential lease agreement.
- Documentation of rent payments made prior to March 16, 2020.
- Have not received any other federal rental assistance (i.e. Section 8) or any CARES Act rental
Please note that the following documentation will be requested from Applicant & Co-applicant (please prepare, but do not submit until staff contact you directly):
- Picture ID
- 3 months of pay stubs or income verification
- 3 months of bank statements
- Verification that you were impacted by COVID-19 (example: letter from employer)
- Current Lease Agreement
- Other documentation as requested by the program
From the tenant:
- Executed Rental Assistance Agreement that includes a signed affidavit affirming that the tenant is not receiving any other form of assistance from CARES Act funding.
From the Landlord:
- Documentation of a current City of San Marcos Business License,
- W-9 for the Landlord receiving rental payment,
- Signed affidavit that the Landlord has not and will not receive payment for the same month(s) rent due for the same tenant from any other rental assistance, mortgage assistance or other CARES Act program.